This module provides an introduction to the Paid Relevant Person’s Representative (PRPR) role in relation to adults who lack capacity to make decisions. Our aim is to equip you with current legislation and practice tools, so you can support people who lack capacity to have their rights and needs fulfilled and their wishes and feelings respected. We will look at the legal context and focus on working with people with dementia, using tools such as non-instructed advocacy.
By the end of the module, you should be able to:
1. Explain the role of a paid relevant person’s representative in relation to an adult who lacks capacity
2. Review the legal and human rights context including deprivation of liberty (DoLS) assessment and authorisation, the Court of Protection, Code of Practice and complaints procedures
3. Evaluate ways to communicate with a relevant person and establish their wishes and feelings
4. Summarise non-instructed advocacy techniques to protect rights and advocate with someone who lacks capacity to instruct
5. Describe emotional challenges for yourself and the relevant person and identify strategies to manage them.
This is the e-learning module, with on average seven to ten hours of e-learning activities, research and assessment. You can complete the programme in your own time and at your own pace. We encourage you to join and interact with the e-learning group through the course forum. This gives you an additional opportunity to engage with others to share ideas, experience and perspectives. It is a virtual space for discussion, learning and considering questions raised by the module. Many modules include an optional live webinar, video stream or podcast. We encourage you to engage with other learners to extend your learning and gain full advantage from the course, but it is not required for assessment. Your tutor will join in the course forum and provide feedback on your work as you submit assignments.
If you are an individual enrolling for a private group training, you should have a coupon code to enable you to enrol for free. Please contact your group organiser if you haven’t got the code.